Unable to set LC_COLLATE system-wide

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 02:39:43 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-03 at 22:58 +0100, John Horne wrote:

> The trouble is I do not know what the login sequence is when logging
> into an X window system. As such, I cannot say what is being run between
> the first run of /etc/profile and the second.

It's not only X itself, it's the whole desktop environment. In principle
you can follow the breadcrumbs via the man pages, but this line
(in /etc/profile etc.) will add more info to your debug comments and
might be useful:

echo This shell called from `ps -p $PPID -o comm=`, pid=$PPID >> /tmp/BASH_DEBUG

> At runlevel 5, if I switch to a virtual console and log in, then both
> variables are set correctly.
>
> Since I'm a bit stumped as to where to go from here, but it definitely
> seems that something 'odd' is going on, I think perhaps this should go
> up to bugzilla?

Could be. It certainly doesn't seem to be doing what it says on the tin.

poc