laptop fc7 with NetworkManager couldnt find wired ip

Dave Burns tburns at hawaii.edu
Wed Jun 4 22:43:36 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 11:52 AM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 08:21 -1000, Dave Burns wrote:
>> There is a weird incompatibility between NetworkManager and network,
>> not well documented anywhere I know about. I am in a similar position,
>> can use either wireless or wired but have to do a whole reconfig to
>> switch between the two. I'd explain it to you if I understood it.
>
> On my laptop switching from wireless to wired in f7 is seamless.

<envy>

>Why do
> you need to provide a DHCP server?

Is this addressed to the OP or to me?

>A server should be available to your
> machine as soon as you start your connection.

I have no problem with the DHCP server. But I had to go through a long
struggle of turning off services and fiddling with drivers and making
sure network did not start wired networking on boot etc. to get
wireless to work on the laptop. At that point it would no longer do
wired. I assume I can retrace my steps to where wired worked and
wireless did not. Trudging through the  official NetworkManager docs,
I found no mention of the various secret tricks I saw suggested on
this list and that finally got my wireless going. Maybe my RTFM is
inadequate, I have to cop to being impatient, but it all seemed to be
"install rpm for NM, 123, tra la la, you're done, wireless should work
now" without mentioning the various tricks I had to try. There are
several threads in the archives where  people try to help someone
troubleshoot NM and wireless, but it seems highly manufacturer and
even model dependent. I guess if it "just works" for you, be happy.
Dave