fedora 9 / windows XP grub question

Eric Wood eric at interplas.com
Thu Jun 5 02:22:36 UTC 2008

Mike Zingale wrote:
> However, it seems to have just magically worked -- my Windows XP boots
> if I select "other" from the grub menu.  I used to think that grub
> overwrote the Windows MBR and that this could not work.  Is this a
> recent change with grub or somehow just an anomaly?

The latest Fedora have done this for a while.  As an aside, on my
Gateway laptop, F9 put grub on the MBR and made the "Other" boot
partition 1 - which is the Gateway Factory Restore/Recovery partition.
partion 2 is Vista.  Fedora doesn't yet correctly detect real windows
partitions versus a restore partition.  So you may have to edit
/etc/grub.conf to reflect things like this.

-eric