/etc/init.d/*.* editing

Andrea mariofutire at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 9 17:10:05 UTC 2008

Frank Murphy wrote:
> I wan't change the startup order of some scripts.
>
> network # chkconfig: 345 25 75
> NetworkManager # chkconfig: - 98 02
> netfs # chkconfig: 345 25 75
>
> looking at them in gedit.
>
> both netfs, network have the same runlevels.
> The other numbers are the same,
> "25 75", could be wrong but feel it's the reason
> my cifs fail at boot.
>
> 25 is startup priority, 75 kill priority.
> What I don't know is the limis of the numbers:
> Should netfs be changed to # chkconfig: 345 40 75,
> Would that ensure etch0 is up?
>
> Frank

I have different values

network 10 90
NetworkManager 27 73
netfs 25 75

I have a WPA-protected wireless network and NetworkManager does not coexist with "network" nor "netfs".

On top of that you might want to have a look at the values for wpa_supplicant

wpa_supplicant 23 88

It makes no sense to me (why network starts before wpa_supplicant?)

Anyway, I have disabled NetworkManager and extended ifup-wireless to work with WPA and changed the
priorities of wpa_supplicant to a more meaningful 9 91.

It looks to me that there are 2 different streams in the network:
1) the old style "ifup" where network goes up and down during boot, available to all users connected
2) a new "windows"-style where the network is enabled only when someone is connected to KDE and
disabled on logoff.

I personally prefer 1), but I'd rather clean it.

Andrea