Unable to mount DVD under Fedora 9

stan goedigi89__e at cox.net
Tue Jun 10 20:53:39 UTC 2008

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-06-10 at 09:08 -0700, stan wrote:
>
>> stan wrote:
>>
>>> I'm running Fedora 9, I put a DVD in the player, and it doesn't
>>>
>> load.
>>
>>> The same DVD and player work fine under Fedora 7.  It is just a
>>>
>> data
>>
>>> DVD.  I find nothing in bugzilla for this.  Is it a difference in
>>> configuration between Fedora 7 and 9, or is it a bug?  The DVD is
>>>
>> on
>>
>>> the second PATA channel as master, and there is a CD as slave.  I
>>> upgraded using preupgrade so there was no interaction with the DVD
>>> during install.
>>>

> We have a terminology problem. What do you mean by loading. Do you mean
> mounting. Have you configured this in : System->Preferences->
> Hardware->Removeable Drives and Media Performance -> Storage, clicking
> Browse removable media when inserted.
> This did not need to be clicked in f7. Maybe it needs to be in f9.

Yes, loading means mounting.  In the past it came up on the desktop as
an icon,
and the directory opens in nautilus when I put the media in the DVD.  When I
use the menus to go to the location you recommended, there is no Storage
tab.

I have entries in fstab that define it.  I've also tried mounting it as
root.

I've already opened a bugzilla for this, and when I was gathering the
data to
place in the bugzilla, I noticed there was an anomaly during boot.  The
drive was
recognized as DVDRW on the second try, and then overwritten with the CDRW
during device setup.  Suggests to me that retry isn't taken into account
when the
device is assigned.

Thanks for your response.