Can I rename a user??

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 22:38:03 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-10 at 20:30 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
> 	I have a machine with an apparently failing hard drive, which I
> plan to give away to someone who may replace the drive. Of course I want
> my password and root's password off it.
>
> 	Root is not a problem; I simply change the password to a dummy I
> can remember, and let the recipient change it again, right?
>
> 	How about the user? I'd like to do a little more than that -- but
> not just delete the user and create a new one. The currently most likely
> recipient describes himself as a newbie -- meaning, I believe, to linux.
>
> 	I don't have to worry about actual data; I had wiped the drive
> with DBAN, and this is a new install, onto which I have yet to copy
> anything from any backups.
>
> 	But I do have various tweaks and adjustments -- arrangements of
> panels and launchers, default tabs for browsers and the gnome terminal,
> the workspace switcher, etc., etc.
>
> 	No doubt, when he's done this a while, he'll alter them all. But
> if it were me, I'd prefer starting with *something* to work from, rather
> than having to re-invent my whole workspace(s) from scratch. Can I give
> that to him? How?

I don't understand the question. What's wrong with just handing it to
him? I presume all sensitive data has been scrubbed, so what's the
problem? If he doesn't like the username Foo you can just change it to
Bar in /etc/passwd. No need to change the uid so from that point on all
files previously belonging to Foo will now belong to Bar.

poc