Rival update mechanisms in Fedora-9?

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Wed Jun 11 13:43:16 UTC 2008

Timothy Murphy wrote:

> Are there two (or even more) rival update tools
> running under Fedora-9?
>
> I just got a message which I took to be from SELinux,
> telling me there were a number of important security updates
> available.
>
> I looked at the list, and they seemed to be mainly KDE updates.
> (I'm running a KDE system.)
> I was told that I hadn't updated for more than a week.
> which was untrue.
> (I ran "yum update" yesterday.)
>
> I clicked on install, and assume the packages are being installed.
> as I see from "top" that update.py is running.
> I have a strange new icon which I have never seen before in my panel.
> (What is it meant to be? It looks like a giant syringe.)
> Right clicking on it tells me it is the PackageKit Update Applet.
>
> But there seems no way of knowing now what packages are being installed.
> It seems I shall have to wait until it has finished to find out.

I must apologize to Them.
I found when I sent the posting above
that there was an Update System window underneath
telling me what was going on.

So my complaint should really be about the new policy
of opening windows in random desktops
which seems to have been introduced with Fedora-9 KDE.

(Eg when I penned a KNode article in Fedora-8
it opened in the same KNode window where I was before.
Under Fedora-9 it opens in what appears to be
a random choice among my 8 desktops.)