F9 and multiple sound cards - no go

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Wed Jun 11 19:00:57 UTC 2008

This system has an NForce motherboard with a sound chip. There's also a
USB-attached external sound card.

To use the USB card, all I had to do before was to create an ~/.asoundrc
file with the following content:

defaults.pcm.card 1
defaults.ctl.card 1

And all sounds would be played to the USB device.

With F9, this doesn't seem to work. I made some changes to the .asoundrc
file (tried device #0 instead of #1), nothing happened.
Went to System / Preferences / Hardware / Sound and tried different
devices - nothing happened.

Rhythmbox doesn't work - no sound. Flash plugin doesn't work. Video
players do work, but without sound.

The only thing that works properly is XMMS. I configured manually the
ALSA output plugin to use USB Audio Codec and it works fine.

So what do I do to enable sound on the USB sound card for all the other
applications?

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/