Ripping music CDs - program that is good with multiple optical drives

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed Jun 11 19:06:15 UTC 2008

Marland V. Pittman wrote:
> Todd Zullinger wrote:
>> Marland V. Pittman wrote:
>>
>>> Craig White wrote:
>>>

> Yeah, I think encoding will be slower than ripping, but, I'd be glad to
> separate the tasks and do some huge batch encoding if it let me go
> through the ripping part faster. I don't know if any of the programs
> have a "batch encode" check box or option.
>
> I do have that quad Opteron box, so I'm kind of hoping to get some sort
> of efficiency out of it. I haven't looked at many benchmarks to see if
> I'll benefit, but maybe running multiple instances with some sort of
> processor affinity setting would be better in this case... who knows.

I prefer Grip and would be interested in how this goes.

I have started ripping to flac with the maximum compression (not worried
about time) and let it go.  Drive space is cheap, time isn't.  Once I
get a full drive ripped, I then make a backup on a different drive that
is outside the computer.

If you get it working, write a howto.

There are some media converters available from yum that we use when we
want to get the songs onto our portable player.  My iRiver will play ogg
files.  I am looking for one that uses memory cards and will play flac
files.

--
Robin Laing