Checking CPU temperature

Mike Williams dmikewilliams at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 22:56:59 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 6:36 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallaghan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 17:02 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:

Sorry I do not have an anwer for you, but do have a couple clues.

Here is a link to someone else's solution for a different gigabyte
motherboard that has offset of -15C for the temperature readings.

http://www.lm-sensors.org/ticket/2139 - It includes the details of how
they edited /etc/sensors.conf

You probably have to do something similar.  Since you get a reading
from the bios your should be able to alter sensors.conf and run
sensors -s until you get a reading that is close to what the bios
says.  Found this on the lm-sensors site that may also apply to your
system: http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/iwizard/WrongTemps

> There is *nothing* in /proc/acpi/thermal_zone on my machine, it's a
> completely empty directory. I take it the OP's system is the same.

My system is the same, that dir is empty.  I found a little perl
program on http://khali.linux-fr.org/devel/lm-sensors/ that didn't
work on my system, but provided a clue.  That program attempted to
read a directory that also didn't exiost on my system
(/sys/class/hwmon/hwmon1/device), I found a similar directory, but it
didn't have files that matched the names in the program.

I did find that on my system (F7) there is a directory
(/sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/device) that has a couple files called
temp1_input and temp2_input.  I wrote a perl program to read those
files every five seconds and print the results.  The values track
perfectly with the output of the gnome sensors applet.  Well, the
values are 1000 X the celsius temperature, but the values divided by
1000 exactly match the temp shown by the applet.

Mike