tr problem

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Fri Jun 13 00:19:16 UTC 2008

On 12Jun2008 16:35, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:
| I'm trying to convert a test file, src code for a legacy computer, whose eol is
| a single cr into one with a newline subbed for each cr, and tr is being a pita,
| it broken, or there is PEBKAC.
|
| If I use this syntax:
|
| tr -c \r \n <filename  >filename2
|
| Then the whole file is converted to nnnnnnnnnn's, every byte.

That's because \ is a shell quoting character. You need to quote it:-)

  tr -c '\r' '\n' <filename >filename2

Then tr will see the \ character.

| The manpage (and pinfo tr too) is, shall we say, completely lacking in how to
| handle the file I/O.

As Les has mentioned, tr is a filter (like almost every UNIX command in
its bare form), so what you wrote is exactly right, except for the
quotes.

| Or is there a better tool for this than tr?

No, tr is the best thing for this particular purpose.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

So the master hit the novice upside the head with the back of his hand.
"Why did you do that!?"  "I do not want to have to learn another editor."
And the student was enlightened.        - Larry Colen <lrc at netcom.COM>