f9 NetworkManager doesn't honor DHCP hostname and domain

Skunk Worx skunkworx at verizon.net
Sat Jun 14 16:26:15 UTC 2008

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Skunk Worx wrote:
>
>> I see in the logs the DHCP info is there, but my machines are always
>> localhost.localdomain using NetworkManager.
>>
>> Disabling NetworkManager and enabling network (via chkconfig) seems to
>> fix it...I wonder why this is a low priority bug in bz?
>>
>> Every unix/linux I know of honors the DHCP info.
>
> Far be it from me to defend NM,
> but are you sure you have actually given your computer name,
> (a) in /etc/sysconfig/network, and
> (b) in your DHCP server's /etc/dhcpd.conf ?
>
> I'd guess service network is getting the info
> from /etc/sysconfig/networ-scripts/ifcfg-<whatever>
> which NM perhaps does not read, or at least take into account?

The point of DHCP is so I do not have to set the computer name anywhere
on the local drive. It should become what DHCP tells it to be.

My mac leopard honors the values, all the Sun/IRIX/RHEL and older Fedora
machines get it ok too.

I see the values coming through; they are in /var/log/messages.

Jun 13 22:19:41 localhost NetworkManager: <info>    hostname 'grumpy'

Stopping NM and starting 'network' sets the values properly.

I've seen bz's about this set at low priority. It's just a visible
annoyance forcing me to alter the default service back to network.

I need the hostname for identity purposes...remote logins, logging, etc.

Right now I have to switch the service...identity has to be there.

---
John