Any hope of KDE 3.5 in F10?

Mike Bird mgb-fedora at yosemite.net
Sat Jun 14 20:16:59 UTC 2008

On Sat June 14 2008 12:17:46 Joonas Sarajärvi wrote:
> If you really want to keep using the old KDE, I'd suggest
> using CentOS or Debian. Both of them still have a few years
> of supported packages for KDE 3.

According to DistroWatch, CentOS is only up to kernel 2.6.18
which rules it out for newer desktops and laptops.  We've
tested Debian Lenny and it works if you don't mind spending
a lot of time keeping a mix of Testing and Unstable up to date
until Lenny is released.

Haven't tried Ubuntu Hardy LTS but that's on the to-do list as
Distrowatch says it has KDE 3.5.9 with kernel 2.6.24 which is
just about perfect.  However, tests of some of the earlier
versions of Ubuntu left me wishing that they wouldn't mess so
much with the way that standard programs work.

Of course there's still a good six months of F8 KDE 3.5 left
but we have to develop a contingency plan in case F10 is really
going to be stuck with KDE 4.x.

--Mike Bird