Any hope of KDE 3.5 in F10?

Ian Chapman packages at amiga-hardware.com
Sun Jun 15 15:44:22 UTC 2008

Joonas Sarajärvi wrote:

>> KDE 4.1 will be incomplete and not suitable for most users.
>
> Software is rarely complete, but I find even KDE 4.0 very usable,
> though far from perfect.

I found KDE 4.0 a real disappointment, especially when I was really
looking forward to using it. I think it's currently lacking a lot of
what I liked about KDE 3.5.x.

> I find Dolphin to be actually much better for file management
> than any Konqueror version I have ever tried. It's probably
> just a matter of preference.

Yes I think the previous problem with konqueror was the bewildering
range of options and views, many of which weren't that practical,
Dolphin fairs much better in that respect.

> I think the new menu is great.

Seriously? I think it's just god awful. I find it slow to navigate
through and just plain awkward to use, I'm thankful they've left the
option in to switch to the classic menu system.

> I usually don't want to browser for
> the application I am looking for in nested menus. The new menu
> lets me just type a few letters and have me launch the program
> instantly, of use the favorites feature.

Doesn't seem too different from the old menus, frequently used apps etc
were stored at the top of the menu, and well I could always type a
program by name from konsole but then I had all my favourite apps on my
taskbar for one-click launching which sadly appears missing from KDE 4.

--
Ian Chapman.