how to not lock the screen

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Sun Jun 15 16:44:39 UTC 2008

On Mon, 9 Jun 2008, g wrote:

> Michael Hennebry wrote:
> > I did an experiment.
> <snip>
> > Eventually something else blanked the screen and wanted my password.
>
> 2 good reasons for what i have 4 suggestions.
>
> 1a) if not already level 3, change '/etc/inittab' to *id:3:initdefault:*, reboot.
> 1b) in 'level 3';
>
>   >$ mv .kde .kde.old
>   >$ startx
>
> if still,
> 2) add another user, login as, if continues, #3.

I got around to trying 1 and 2, but no joy.
After exiting X, I did notice window manager complaints.
I kind of fuzzy on what they were.
Possibly they were the result of trying to run a gnome desktop without gnome.
IIRC I didn't clickon gnome during install.
I tried grepping /var/log/* , but didn't find the complaints.

> 3) r & r kde.

I don't know how to r & r KDE or anything else.
I presume it doesn't mean rest and recreate.
seaRch and destRoy?

> 4) someone else this list |  kde 'tech list' | read source.
>
> i have tried to dupe problem, unable.
>
> i have 'touch', 'find', 'grep' and not found any files that give clue. 'flag' for
> screen password lock may be in a 'power save' file, even a display manager.
>
> if it where a problem i had, i would have r & r kde long ago. whole install,
> maybe. for sure if i found 'bug' early.

"Those parts of the system that you can hit with a hammer (not advised)
are called Hardware;  those program instructions that you can only
curse at are called Software."