Any hope of KDE 3.5 in F10?

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 17:35:27 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 12:19 PM, Mike Bird <mgb-fedora at yosemite.net> wrote:
> So with most major distros we get to choose to migrate to KDE 4.x when
> it's usable for our clients rather than Red Hat pushing KDE 4.x down
> our throats before it's cooked.  Migration will be an annoyance but
> software freedom is wonderful.

I don't know what RedHat has done to you, or why you insist on playing
the role of the victim. You could have been a bit more involved, and
see first hand, but I will try to convey my observations to you as
clearly as possible.

RedHat did NOT push KDE 4.x down anyones throat. KDE* in Fedora is
purely a community effort, that means you and I.

The decision to go with KDE4 was made by the few doing the work. I
believe one of the major reasons for _not_ sticking with 3.5 currently
is that is a large technical challenge and there are few resources to
cover the work.

There were meetings, mailing list discussions and announcements before
KDE 4.x even came out. Did you give input? Did you help out?

Why are people so quick to just blame RedHat? The only thing RedHat
_might_ be guilty of is not taking control of the KDE development, and
I don't see that as necessarily a bad thing.

( www.pembo13.com )