getting rid of gnome

Kevin Martin kevintm at ameritech.net
Tue Jun 17 22:57:07 UTC 2008

Andras Simon wrote:
> What is the official way to get rid of either gnome, or just its
> default WM (metacity?) (I'm not sure where one ends and the other
> begins) and replace it (or just the WM) with another, lightweight WM?
>
> Andras

Funny you should ask this as I just went thru the pain today of
replacing GDM and GNOME with XDM and fluxbox.  I found that (in Fedora
8) I needed to create a /etc/sysconfig/desktop file with the following
entries:

DESKTOP="FLUXBOX"
DISPLAYMANAGER="XDM"

Then I needed to modify /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients and make it read this way:

GSESSION="$(which gnome-session 2>/dev/null)"
STARTKDE="$(which startkde 2>/dev/null)"
# New line FLUXBOX
FLUXBOX="$(which startfluxbox 2>/dev/null)"

# check to see if the user has a preferred desktop
PREFERRED=
if [ -f /etc/sysconfig/desktop ]; then
    . /etc/sysconfig/desktop
    if [ "$DESKTOP" = "GNOME" ]; then
        PREFERRED="$GSESSION"
    elif [ "$DESKTOP" = "KDE" ]; then
        PREFERRED="$STARTKDE"
# Following 2 lines are new
    elif [ "$DESKTOP" = "FLUXBOX" ]; then
        PREFERRED="$FLUXBOX"
    fi
fi

Then I also, for my user, created a ~/.xsession file that says:

exec startfluxbox &

You should be able to duplicate this with whatever you need.

Let us know how things go.

Kevin