Strange interface problem.

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jun 18 03:11:14 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 10:54 -0400, Mark Haney wrote:
> I have setup eth0 and and eth1 to not activate on boot, but I do have
> eth2.  It's setup with the correct IP, netmask and default gateway.
> NM is NOT managing the interfaces.  On a reboot, eth0 comes up, eth2
> doesn't.  When I take down eth0 and bring up eth2, despite the
> settings being there and correct, I still have to manually setup  the
> IP/netmask/gw on eth2.
>
> I'm rather surprised that this is even a problem, since I've not seen
> it before.  Is there a reason for this?  And/or a way to fix it?

That sort of thing is an old complaint, and the solution is to manually
configure your network so that certain hardware is tied to a particular
interface by the MAC address.

For example, on one of my computers:

[tim at gonzales ~]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0
# Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
HWADDR=00:11:2f:f4:57:8f
ONBOOT=yes
NM_CONTROLLED=yes
DHCP_HOSTNAME=gonzales
TYPE=Ethernet
USERCTL=yes
PEERDNS=yes
IPV6INIT=no

Notice the HWADDR line, after the equals sign is the MAC of that
particular interface.  Play around with the ifconfig command to find the
MACs of your interfaces.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686