Memory, swap, and limits

Beartooth Sciurivore beartooth at swva.net
Wed Jun 18 15:58:49 UTC 2008

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 08:58:47 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> Beartooth Sciurivore wrote:
	[...]
>> 	Otoh, I've never gotten anywhere near filling up a hard drive,
>> except once when I had a testbed machine triple booting three different
>> distros. So why can't I at least increase the swap space?
>>
> I believe there is a limit to the size of a swap partition. I don't
> remember what it is. But you can create more then one swap partition.
> The system will use them all. You also have the option of adding a swap
> file after install. Try this, and see if it helps. But remember, when
> you start doing a lot of swapping, the system is going to slow way down.

	OK; but then there's something else I don't know, or don't
understand. Does a Fedora machine do any swapping while it has memory
left? I didn't think I had (or needed) any control at all over swapping,
beyond choosing how much space to afford it.

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Power User
Remember I know little (precious little!) of where up is.