Seems I have some real problems

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu Jun 19 15:47:24 UTC 2008

R. G. Newbury wrote:
> Message: 13
> Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 17:35:11 -0700
> From: "Daniel B. Thurman" <dant at cdkkt.com>
> Subject: Re: Seems I have some real problems....
> To: For users of Fedora <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>
> <snip>
>
>  > Ugh.  I just removed all the livna stuff from my F8 and it appears
> that I cannot install MythTV nor all of the other stuff I got from
> livna.  Seems I cannot get everything I want from a single source
> repository?
>
>  >This is the list that I removed from livna:
>
> <list deleted>
>  >When I tried to install MythTV, I got:
>
>  >[root at gold dant]# yum install mythtv
>  >00:00
>  >primary.xml.gz            100% |=========================| 182 kB
> 00:02
>  >atrpms    : ################################################## 716/716
>  >Setting up Install Process
>  >Parsing package install arguments
>
> <list deleted>
> --> Running transaction check
> ---> Package libdc1394.i386 0:2.0.2-1.fc8 set to be updated
> ---> Package mythvideo.i386 0:0.21-190.fc8 set to be updated
> --> Processing Dependency: transcode >= 0.6.8 for package: mythvideo
> ---> Package mytharchive.i386 0:0.21-190.fc8 set to be updated
> --> Processing Dependency: transcode >= 1.0.2 for package: mytharchive
> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
>  >Error: Missing Dependency: transcode >= 1.0.2 is needed by package
> mytharchive
>  >Error: Missing Dependency: transcode >= 0.6.8 is needed by package
> mythvideo
>
>  >[root at gold dant]# yum install transcode
>  >Setting up Install Process
>  >Parsing package install arguments
>  >No package transcode available.
>  >Nothing to do
>
>  >Hmm....  I could not install transcode that the above is seeking as a
> dependency.
>
>  >What gives?
>
> You actually did not need to remove EVERYTHING which was sourced from
> livna. There are a number of packages which are only available there,
> but the majority of the things needed by mythtv are built by Axel and
> available on atrpms...including the mythtv metapackage. It is intriguing
> that the transcode dependency failed as transcode 1.0.5 is available on
> atrpms.
>
> Are you sure you had atrpms enabled on that last try?...
>
> If you go to:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Fedora_8_-_Package_Dependencies
>
> you will see a long script which I wrote for myself some time ago and
> posted on the wiki. It's intended for a 'bare-metal' level install.
>
> Just copy and paste the whole thing into a file and chmod the file to
> make it executable.
>
> Note that first ou need the Fedora 'Everything'
> repo enabled and the atrpms and livna repos available and enabled in
> your yum.repos.d directory. After you have updated against Fedora
> [...]

I think you will find that atrpms requires the usage of other repos.

 From their WWW site.

http://atrpms.net/repos/

Please check out the following rpm repositories also. Most of them are
activated in medley's default configuration (for the distributions
supported by the resp. repository).

     * freshrpms.net by Matthias Saou
     * PlanetCCRMA by Fernando Lopez-Lezcano
     * NewRPMS by Rudolf (Che) Kastl
     * spc repository by Link Dupont
     * BIOrpms repository by Bent Terp
     * pyvault by Jeff Pitman
     * Dag's rpm collection by Dag Wieers
     * NyQuist by Matthew Hall
     * JPackage
     * KDE for Red Hat by Rex Dieter
     * Dries' rpm repository by Dries Verachtert
     * GStreamer
     * Vlugnet by Ronny Buchmann

This helps spread some of the work across other packagers and opens up
more products.

--
Robin Laing
Instrumentation Technologist   Voice: 1.403.544.4762