ssh_exchange_identification

Rahul Tidke rahul at excelize.com
Fri Jun 20 10:25:57 UTC 2008

Łukasz Jagiełło wrote:
> 2008/6/20 Rahul Tidke <rahul at excelize.com>:
>> My ssh is not working today; every time I try to login to our web server I
>> get following error message. I tried to login using both remote server host
>> name and IP address, I observed that IP address of our web server has been
>> changed so I removed all the previous entries for the web server in my
>> /root/.ssh/known_hosts file and tried once again, but still getting the same
>> error message. What could be the possible reason behind this error message?
>> Is it my configuration or remote web server configuration that is causing
>> the problem?
>>
>> ssh_exchange_identification : Connection closed by remote host
>>
>> What is the meaning of this error, I could not find this on SSH mailing list
>> and documentation. Could not get satisfactory answer form Google search
>> also.
>
> Your IP isn't at allow list (/etc/hosts.allow) for SSHD.

SSH verbose mode gives me following messages:

debug1: Connection established.
debug1: permanently_set_uid: 0/0
debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/identity type -1
debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_dsa type 2
debug1: loaded 3 keys

Shall I take it for granted that I am not on the allow
(/etc/hosts.allow) list.

Regards,
Rahul.