ssh_exchange_identification

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 13:48:09 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 15:55 +0530, Rahul Tidke wrote:
> Łukasz Jagiełło wrote:
> > 2008/6/20 Rahul Tidke <rahul at excelize.com>:
> >> My ssh is not working today; every time I try to login to our web server I
> >> get following error message. I tried to login using both remote server host
> >> name and IP address, I observed that IP address of our web server has been
> >> changed so I removed all the previous entries for the web server in my
> >> /root/.ssh/known_hosts file and tried once again, but still getting the same
> >> error message. What could be the possible reason behind this error message?
> >> Is it my configuration or remote web server configuration that is causing
> >> the problem?
> >>
> >> ssh_exchange_identification : Connection closed by remote host
> >>
> >> What is the meaning of this error, I could not find this on SSH mailing list
> >> and documentation. Could not get satisfactory answer form Google search
> >> also.
> >
> > Your IP isn't at allow list (/etc/hosts.allow) for SSHD.
> >

> SSH verbose mode gives me following messages:
>
> debug1: Connection established.
> debug1: permanently_set_uid: 0/0
> debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/identity type -1
> debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
> debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_dsa type 2
> debug1: loaded 3 keys
>
> Shall I take it for granted that I am not on the allow
> (/etc/hosts.allow) list.

/etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny are not necessarily being used by
the server. It's more likely that they are filtering on a firewall rule
and not letting your IP get to their port 22. You need to talk to the
server admin. IF they changed their IP they may have changed other stuff
or simply forgotten about SSH.

poc