Any hope of KDE 3.5 in F10? I want it too !

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Jun 21 12:23:59 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-06-21 at 13:04 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 21 June 2008 12:58:11 Craig White wrote:

> > > ?? A change to fstab, I presume?  Example of current line is
> > >
> > > 192.168.0.40:/home /mnt/servername_home nfs nosuid,exec,rw,bg,soft,intr 0
> > > 0
> > >
> > > Do you mean change 'nfs' to 'autofs'?
> >
> > ----
> > I don't use fstab to do nfs mounts anymore...that's so yesterday  ;-)
> >
> Hey, after years of doing smb mounts I've only just learned how to do nfs
> mounts :-)
----
autofs does ease some of the ugly aspects of hard nfs mounts
----

> > but the answer is no...there are no nfs mounts in fstab needed when you
> > use autofs
> >
> > http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Automount.html
> >
> > this is a good general explanation...
> > http://tldp.org/linuxfocus/English/January2001/article141.shtml
> >
> OK - More reading to do.
----
those are short, general info explanations
----

> > There are a lot of benefits to doing it this way...they are soft mounts
> > and not hard mounts. I can change the mounts simply by changing LDAP and
> > not having to change each computer (LDAP is not necessary for autofs but
> > is certainly a big plus).
> >
> LDAP is another whole new ball game.  I keep thinking that I should read up on
> that, too, as is certainly would be helpful.
>
> Thanks for the links, Craig.
----
As Timothy Murphy will tell you, I am pretty adamant that the Internet
provides too many confusing LDAP walk-throughs that don't correlate with
each other and will typically lead to frustration and the most simple
way to learn LDAP is Gerald Carter's book titled 'LDAP System
Administration'.

I don't know how many family 'users' you are dealing with but if it's
more than 5, it may be worthwhile to learn LDAP. These are the things I
am doing with LDAP these days...

Account management - Posix and Samba users/passwords all integrated and
the same - when I create a user, the user can login to either Linux,
mail server, Windows with the same password and it's the same user .

Group memberships - for access control or for mail distribution lists.

Autofs mounts - typically for NFS mounts because I use 'login scripts'
for samba (Windows) mounts.

E-mail aliases - postfix checks LDAP to see if it's a valid address
before accepting and cyrus-imapd figures out which account(s) mail is
delivered to.

Samba - the passdb

Address Books (Shared and Personal) - Shared address books that are
available to everyone include the 'accounts' address book which is
created automatically when I add users, one or more general shared
address book(s), and each user gets their own LDAP address book so they
can move from program to program, computer to computer and yet still
have access to their address book.

Craig