Any hope of KDE 3.5 in F10? I want it too !

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Jun 21 12:35:30 UTC 2008

On Saturday 21 June 2008 13:23:59 Craig White wrote:
> As Timothy Murphy will tell you, I am pretty adamant that the Internet
> provides too many confusing LDAP walk-throughs that don't correlate with
> each other and will typically lead to frustration and the most simple
> way to learn LDAP is Gerald Carter's book titled 'LDAP System
> Administration'.
>
> I don't know how many family 'users' you are dealing with but if it's
> more than 5, it may be worthwhile to learn LDAP. These are the things I
> am doing with LDAP these days...
>
> Account management - Posix and Samba users/passwords all integrated and
> the same - when I create a user, the user can login to either Linux,
> mail server, Windows with the same password and it's the same user .
>
> Group memberships - for access control or for mail distribution lists.
>
> Autofs mounts - typically for NFS mounts because I use 'login scripts'
> for samba (Windows) mounts.
>
> E-mail aliases - postfix checks LDAP to see if it's a valid address
> before accepting and cyrus-imapd figures out which account(s) mail is
> delivered to.
>
> Samba - the passdb
>
> Address Books (Shared and Personal) - Shared address books that are
> available to everyone include the 'accounts' address book which is
> created automatically when I add users, one or more general shared
> address book(s), and each user gets their own LDAP address book so they
> can move from program to program, computer to computer and yet still
> have access to their address book.

In terms of accounts, there are not so many.  My husband and I, regularly, and
my daughter occasionally (on XP), when she needs something on my network.
She has a samba login.  In terms of hardware, though, it's a bit different.
There is my IMAP/file server (CentOS), David's Mandriva desktop box, my F9
desktop box, my EeePC, and this laptop with Mandriva and, very occasionally,
XP.  That's without the occasional guests - other daughter, granddaughter,
etc..

LDAP does feel a bit daunting.  I feel that it should be possible to learn and
activate one bit of its potential at a time, but after reading a couple of
web pages about it I gave up.  Does the book you mention lead you in
reasonably slowly?  I've rather a lot on my plate for the forseeable future,
so don't want to have to swallow huge amounts of medicine at once :-)

Anne