Any hope of KDE 3.5 in F10? I want it too !

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sat Jun 21 14:57:47 UTC 2008

Anne Wilson wrote:

> LDAP does feel a bit daunting.  I feel that it should be possible to learn
> and activate one bit of its potential at a time, but after reading a
> couple of
> web pages about it I gave up.  Does the book you mention lead you in
> reasonably slowly?  I've rather a lot on my plate for the forseeable
> future, so don't want to have to swallow huge amounts of medicine at once

My view of LDAP is slightly jaundiced.
I've come to the conclusion that it is a very bad way
of creating a system-wide address book,
but unfortunately the only way that actually works.

(As Winston Churchill said of democracy,
it is a terrible system but better than all the others
that have been tried from time to time.)

I have the Gerald Carter book (actually I borrowed it)
and I would give it 7/10, or alpha minus.
I was amazed when looking around how bad all the online introductions
on OpenLDAP that I found were.
(If I have to read another history of X509 I may jump out of the window.)
Certainly Carter's book is far better than any of these.

It still seems to me that there ought to be a simple 10-page exposition
on OpenLDAP, but if there is I haven't found it.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net