Any hope of KDE 3.5 in F10? I want it too !

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Jun 21 23:28:35 UTC 2008

Timothy Murphy <gayleard <at> eircom.net> writes:
> It seems to me quite difficult to run KDE-3 and KDE-4 on the same machine.
> How exactly do you do it?
> Do you share the same /home partition between the two?

What the distributions shipping parallel-installable KDE 3 and 4 do is to use a
completely separate configuration directory for KDE 4, usually ~/.kde4. The
obvious problem with that is that KDE 4 won't pick up your existing KDE 3
settings, so it's inadequate for migrating to KDE 4. It also means KDE 4 users
will have to manually rename ~/.kde4 to ~/.kde when they upgrade to a later
version which finally defaults to KDE 4, otherwise they'll lose all their
settings. This really sucks as a user experience, and it is one of the reasons
I don't like that setup.

        Kevin Kofler