Mirrors(?) for local repo

Mike Chambers mike at miketc.com
Sun Jun 22 14:05:41 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-06-22 at 12:55 +0100, Frank Murphy wrote:
> How do you know the correct mirrors for rsync a local repo.
> Is it by the biggest bandwidth one chooses,
> or just the closest geographically?

Hi Frank,

What I did was go through all the mirrored sites (at least the ones
geographically closer, as in north america, south america, etc..) and
tried rsync to see which ones allowed it.  Then those that did, I just
did a quick test to see how fast the downloads were (of course, they
could be faster or slower at different times, but you get an idea).
Once you have the fastest, setup your script/whatever to use that mirror
and start your download.  If your going to rsync updates/testing/rawhide
then you might want to check into that mirror or another (email the
admins of the server) and see how often they sync up so you can set
yours around that.

--
Mike Chambers
mikec302 at fedoraproject.org