Any hope of KDE 3.5 in F10? I want it too !

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 03:19:58 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 9:45 PM, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-06-22 at 22:18 -0400, David Boles wrote:
>> Ric Moore wrote:
>> > On Sun, 2008-06-22 at 05:56 +0000, g wrote:
>> >
>> > It might be better to avoid the use of "labels" as much as possible. I
>> > know it's hard to do in practice. Sadly, I have my share of favorites.
>> > "Idiot" just rolls off the fingers when typing it. So does "Twit".
>> > That's a really good one. "Stupid" gets my hackles up though, I'll
>> > battle on that one. <cackles>
>> >
>> > Again, it's better to not use them at all. Ric
>>

>> A sensible person would run CentOS, or RHEL, or one of the many others, for a
>> server. It would be foolish to run any distro, such as Fedora, there are many
>> others, in a production type situation. Something that changes as often, as
>> quickly, and a radically as Fedora does not, would not, be a good choice for a
>> stable LAN or production system. Only if you want to be cheap and get 'the
>> free stuff' would it make sense. And then 'they' would have to deal with the
>> problems.
>>
>> So tell me Ric. What would you call someone that would do this, described
>> above? Bob? Fred? Or a fool?
> ----
> I have a problem with this thinking...
>
> 1. It presupposes what you are calling a production server.

A server where you're not regularly adding new features to its software lineup

> 2. It attaches a negative aspersion to anyone who doesn't agree with
> your thinking.

Doesn't mean it's wrong.

> I can think of several scenarios off the top of my head where a Fedora
> server would probably be preferable to CentOS/RHEL...
>
> - Thin client server (like LTSP) where I want newer end user
> applications.

I would think you would wanted tested, proven and stable apps for such a thing.

> - Special application server like Ruby on Rails that does things like
> image manipulation.

I don't see what that has to do with Centos vs. Fedora.

> So yes, I do think it's not only possible but sometimes useful if not
> necessary to use something a little more bleeding edge than stable as a
> server and not at all foolish.

Possible, but rare. To each their own I guess.

( www.pembo13.com )