Any hope of KDE 3.5 in F10? I want it too !

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jun 23 06:41:06 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-06-22 at 22:18 -0400, David Boles wrote:
> A sensible person would run CentOS, or RHEL, or one of the many
> others, for a server. It would be foolish to run any distro, such as
> Fedora, there are many others, in a production type situation.
> Something that changes as often, as quickly, and a radically as Fedora
> does not, would not, be a good choice for a stable LAN or production
> system.

I could imagine the situation where you run a fairly simple server, one
that does just one or two things (like a webserver without extensive
databases), and if you were an admin that were always keeping up to date
with updates, that there's not a great deal of difference between
updating a collection of RPMs, to updating all of them with a new
distro.

But once you make a server complicated (throw in mail, databases, user
file storage, etc.), rapid distro updating does become a much greater
nuisance, and you will want a base system with a longer life.

I can't say that I've really come across updates that made a system
unstable or plain broken.  And that sort of thing could just as easily
happen while updating packages on another distro with a longer life than
Fedora.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686