Wireless problems.

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Mon Jun 23 12:04:58 UTC 2008

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Mark Haney wrote:
>
>> I totally misunderstood your question, I'm sorry about that.  I connect
>> via a simple ifcfg-xx file.  I don't use NM for anything.  I don't have
>> dhclient running since I gave it a static IP.  That's not ever been a
>> problem before, it's been a static IP since I put the card in the box a
>> half year ago.
>
> I'm surprised to hear myself saying this, but why not try NM?
> I know it's meant to have problems with fixed IP,
> but it cannot do any harm to try.
>
> I've usually found the information in /var/log/messages is quite helpful
> with WiFi problems.
>
> Also it might be worth trying "iwlist scan" as root.
> And wifi-radar is sometimes helpful.

The problem I have isn't logging anything in syslog.  iwlist scan works,
I can see my AP just fine.  I just can't get the card to connect to it.
  I know the AP is fine since my laptop connects fine. I know the card
in the box works since the XP boot on that box can connect just fine.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support