SATA - System Freezes

Nifty Hat Mitch nifty.hat at niftyegg.com
Tue Jun 24 20:51:46 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 9:52 PM, Nifty Hat Mitch <nifty.hat at niftyegg.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 08:13:54 -0700, Robin Laing <Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca> wrote:
>
> > Henry Ritzlmayr wrote:

> Is smartd enabled? Is smartd configured correctly for this disk?
> Some smartd actions will take a disk off line for some tests.
> When those tests are running other commands to the disk may time out.
> Thus the "smartd" daemon could be triggering the dead time.
>
> IMO, smartd is a cool tool.  It does catch lots of disk failures in time
> to back up and replace the disk.  It also can do things that are unexpected.

Checking back in the archives the  SMART question was asked,  but it
was not clear in the answer that  SMART was disabled both in the BIOS and
the drive.  If the BIOS has SMART enabled the drive could still stall
for various
time periods when a self test was running.

--
Nifty Hat Mitch
T o m M i t c h e l l