RAID1 in F9

Zlatko zlatko.trescec at kc.htnet.hr
Fri Jun 27 17:46:43 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 17:35 +0000, redhatdude at bellsouth.net wrote:
> Hello,
> I'd like to create a RAID1 with 2 500GB HD I got.
> Can anyone point me to a good step by step howto to do this with Fedora 9?
> Thanks,
> EJ

Example:

fdisk /dev/sda

here you can create partitions for the first disk, assuming that your
first disk is sda. For all partitions, except for the swap type, choose
raid autodetect type (fd).

fdisk /dev/sdb

do the same thing as for /dev/sda

then do this:

mdadm --create /dev/md0 -l 1 -n 2 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1
mdadm --create /dev/md1 -l 1 -n 2 /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb2

and so on, for all partitions that are raid autodetect type.

After creating md devices, you must format them:

mkfs.ext3 -L /some_label /dev/md0

and so on, for all of md devices you created. Don't forget to mkswap all
swap partitions.

Use this as your guide:

man mount
man fdisk