BOINC again !? -- I give up.

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Sat Jun 28 20:19:09 UTC 2008

Hi Craig;

On Sat, 2008-06-28 at 12:51 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-06-28 at 14:30 -0400, William Case wrote:
> > Hi;
> >
> > I give up.  I am filing a bug.

> ----
> I believe that what Patrick was trying to tell you is that if you are
> using NetworkManager, then it's entirely possible that networking isn't
> fully operational when boinc service starts at bootup which would cause
> it to fail. That can probably be verified by merely issuing
> '/sbin/service boinc restart' (assuming that restart is an option for
> the boinc sysv script). If that works, then it might just be easier to
> put that command in /etc/rc.d/rc.local (/sbin/service boinc restart)
>
> Craig

Yes, I am using NetworkManager.  I have tried one last test. I removed
and re-installed boinc.  With that, boinc was able to connect to WCG and
download 2 more work units.  Boinc has only been able to connect to WCG
to get work units on a new install -- never after a re-boot.  Boinc is
processing those work units now.

I have since shut down my computer and rebooted.  Since the work units
are on my machine, my computer is continuing to process those units.  It
will take approximately 6 hrs to finish processing them.  I am waiting
to see if then it can automagically re-connect to WCG and obtain further
work units.

If it can't I will try Patrick's Network Manager solution.

If that works, I then have to decide whether this is a Network Manager
bug; a Boinc bug; or both.  Of course, if boincmgr does successfully
reconnect to WCG and download additional work units, I will write the
whole thing off as my screwing around too much while Boinc was just
trying to do its thing.

--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.2