MPEG video under Fedora 9

John Munn john at veggiemunn.com
Sun Jun 29 05:21:01 UTC 2008

There does seem to be confusion in multimedia in Fedora, but, that is
because there are a lot of choices for players.  The second issue is
that Fedora insists on packaging only free software.  So, after you
select you player(s) you need to download the non-free codecs among
which is mpg video and mp3 audio, etc.

I am successfully using xine, kaffein and vlc media players to play mpg
& wmv, etc movies.  Also, flash movies in the browser (Youtube, et
al).   I've used RH linux & Fedora since RH 5.2.  Currently in FC 9 &
FireFox 3 I do not have the browser plugins working properly for wmv &
mpg and I believe the problem lies with FireFox (haven't had time to
debug it yet).  I've never been thrilled with totem and haven't spent
the time to get it working right.

You can down load (using yum or your choice) the players from the normal
repositories.  You need to get the mpg codecs and other non-free codecs
from livna repository or other third party.  You can get many for
mplayer from http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html .  Get xine
codecs from livna.

John