Mirror bandwidth and user redirection

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 13:21:40 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-06-29 at 23:46 -0500, Matt Domsch wrote:
> The basic selection algorithm for choosing
> the order in which to return mirrors to clients remains the same:
> prefer same netblocks, internet2 in same country if on internet2, same
> country, same continent, then global, in that order.

That's totally logical, but it's wrong for some cases. Here in Venezuela
there is much better bandwidth to the US than to anywhere else in South
America, so the "same continent" rule is not going to work for us. I
suspect the same is true for some other SA countries.

Also, for the relatively few people on Internet2 it's always better than
Internet1, at least here. I mean Internet2 to anywhere is better than
Internet1 to the same city.

poc