Wide, flat, & weird : HP w2207h with F8 & F9

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Mon Jun 30 16:45:41 UTC 2008

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 16:53:36 +0000, Beartooth wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 20:54:23 -0400, Raymond C. Rodgers wrote:
> 	[...]
>> My HP w2207h worked fine with both F8 and F9 on an ATI Radeon HD3850,
>> and in fact the clean install of F9 I did didn't even bother to ask me
>> what resolution I wanted to run the monitor in, it just set it
>> automatically to 1680x1050.

	Somebody on another thread clued me into doing first downloading
an rpm to add livna to my repos, running rpm -ivh livna-release-8.rpm or
-9.rpm respectively, and then doing yum install kmod-nvidia. That helped
a lot. I now have two F9 PCs and an F8 PC giving acceptable if not
optimal displays.

	The F8, unfortunately, is my #1 (newest, fastest) machine. I had
installed F8 over F9 already once, over the anaconda bug -- and,
apparently, somehow gotten an unclean install. I tried another fresh
install of F9, and failed again, the second time over this display issue.

	I did the third fresh install of F8, did the livna bit, and re-re-
copied my data back in. Now I'm wondering if I dare try yet a third
upgrade to F9 -- before there's a re-spin to do it with.

	Anybody know for sure if an upgrade F8 > F9 will keep all the
livna-nvidia settings?? Or even a way a subtechnoid can use to make #1
identify its video card for me?

	(The machine was built for me, to my budget, by an electronic
friend; but I haven't found a way to ask it what video card it has, and I
hate to ask him to dig through his records (if any) to find out.)

--
Beartooth Subtechnoid, PhD, Neo-Redneck Power User
Fedora 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;