Hardware browser??

Kevin Martin kevintm at ameritech.net
Mon Jun 30 21:00:08 UTC 2008

Beartooth wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 14:41:23 -0500, Kevin Martin wrote:
>

>> Beartooth wrote:
>>
> 	[...]
>
>>> 	Curiouser and curiouser : that doesn't work here. I can highlight
>>> them and then click, double-click, or hit enter -- and that doesn't
>>> help, either. The display disappears for a few seconds in favor of the
>>> word "scanning"; but it then comes back unchanged.
>>>

>> Are you running the lshw-gui as root?
>>

> 	Yes. Shouldn't I be? When I try it as user, it starts off with
> the little pop-up that so many things use, asking for root's password.

No, I would expect that you would /have/ to run it as root in order to
collect all the information.  When you start it up for the first time
does it show scanning in the upper right pane and show what's being
scanned in the message bar lower-left?  Then does it show computer in
the left hand pane when it's done?