Burning CDs

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Mar 1 02:22:26 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-29 at 17:42 +0000, Phil Bass wrote:
> For the record, I managed to get xcdroast to work by manually
> specifying the device names (/dev/scd0 for my CD ROM drive
> and /dev/scd1 for my CD writer). Specifying the device in SCSI form
> 'dev=0,1,0' causes cdrecord to report:
>
> WARNING: the deprecated pseudo SCSI syntax found as device
> specification.

I'm curious whether you got the wrong device configuration from a fresh
install, or an upgrade install.  Generally, I've seen burning software
get the right devices if they're from a clean install and they've worked
out the device to use for themselves.  But an update install could
easily try to use a prior configuration, that's using the older scheme.

I think burning software should only bother to ask you to pick the
burner if you've got more than one to choose from.  Otherwise, the
computer should find the optical drives, itself, and work out which
one's a burner from the drive's identification data.  It's the computer,
not you, let it do the computing work.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.