Radeon, Video driver

Konstantin Svist fry.kun at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 18:27:16 UTC 2008

Jim wrote:
> I have a i386 box that I'm installing F8 from F5 that had a "radeon"
> driver for a ATI video card that work great on F5,
> but is the xorg-drv-radeonhd the correct driver replacement or
> xorg-drv-ati.
> I would greatly appreicate that if you give a answer that it is
> because you have tryed this on your computer.

Here's a good writeup about the state of various ATI drivers:
http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25178

In short, you probably want to go with "xorg-drv-ati", a.k.a. "radeon"
(open source, reverse-engineered, good performance/stability, but no 3D)
-- or fglrx (if radeon doesn't work for you or if you absolutely need 3D
-- it's "official" binary driver from ATI, has great performance but
questionable stability).

radeonhd is a project based on ATI's open documentation -- great
concept, but it's definitely not ready for the average user. Only use if
you have big problems with radeon/fglrx, or if you're very adventurous :)

HTH