google mail and thunderbird -

Jacques B. jjrboucher at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 16:44:21 UTC 2008

>     Firestarter  outbound traffic is set to "restrictive by default" and
>     when it blocks a function I need I open that port.  That seemed like
>     a conservative approach to me, am I wrong?
>
>     Bob Goodwin

Not at all.  It provides greater security as it allows you to monitor
outgoing traffic.  This way if a trojan infected your system and
attempted to call home your setup would likely catch that.  It's very
much a matter of preference.  Yours adds a layer of security with the
associated cost of requiring a bit more hands on to maintain
usability.  If it works for you, all the better.

Jacques B.