Automount external hard drive?

Reid Rivenburgh reidr at pobox.com
Mon Mar 3 20:26:08 UTC 2008

Hi.  I'm still tweaking my setup with my external USB hard drive.
It's generally working, but it still has this annoying habit of
getting lost, with messages like these:

Mar  3 10:33:33 pigpen kernel: usb 3-1: USB disconnect, address 4

It "only" happens every few days on average now.  When it does happen,
though, I manually umount, e2fsck, and mount it.  I did create an
fstab entry so can refer to it as "/mnt/disk2", but it's still a bit
tedious, and the filesystem is unavailable until I notice that it's
missing.  So I'm wondering if there's a good way to automate this.  I
know about autofs, which should work, but that implies a lot of
mounting and unmounting (depending on timeouts and access frequency),
when logically this is a permanently attached drive.  The ideal thing
is if there was a way to perform my umount/e2fsck/remount whenever it
gets lost.  Shortly after getting lost, the kernel finds it again, so
it seems analogous to unplugging and replugging the USB cable.  Is
there a proper fedora way of handling this?  I run KDE, not GNOME, but
it seems like any solution should be independent of desktop
environment; i.e. at a lower level and not dependent on a user being
logged in.  If autofs is the best way to go, that's fine.

(For the record, it was disconnecting much more frequently when I had
my wireless router right next to it.  I moved the router a few feet
which seems to have helped some. It may be completely unrelated, who
knows....)

Thanks,
Reid