Best way to upgrade from FC5 to FC8

Cassian Luppu cassian.luppu at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 14:56:31 UTC 2008

04 Mar 2008 09:48:04 -0500, DJ Delorie <dj at delorie.com>:

> What I've taken to doing is booting a rescue CD, creating a top-level
> "/old-system" directory, and moving all the top-level directories
> (including mount points etc) into it.  That leaves me with a disk that
> is clean enough to do a fresh install on without needing a format, and
> when the install is done, all my old directories and files can be mv'd
> back into place as needed.

Yep, that sounds like what Richard wrote, and given that for you two worked
fine, I think I'm going to do the same. Just moving /home/user to /backup
(since I only want to keep the home)

Should I cp -r /home/user or mv /home/user to /backup
I guess that it's "mv" right?

Just want to be sure before doing all :-)
Thank you very much