Burning a kernel

MK halfcountplus at intergate.com
Tue Mar 4 16:22:59 UTC 2008

> Can one roll a kernel using the vanilla kernel rpm? I know you would
> need kernel-devel and possibly headers, but can it be done?

I use F7 and the stock rpm never built properly for me, i had to
download 2.6.22.6 from kernel.org and that is fine.

Also, the unadjusted fedora .config IS the same as the default
installed kernel, and i would say it's more like a baskin-robbins gift
basket than anything "vanilla".  There is enough stuff there to get
sick on, which is a good reason to make your own.  I guarantee 95% of
users do not need 95% of the built-in options; they are just included
so anyone can do anything right off the bat.  On the other hand, don't
fret too much, I think the kernel and it's mass are much much less
significant now than back when you would be wishing you had one of
those new pentium chips.

> giving it a go, as the i686 kernel seems to be rolled with intel and I
> want to get all the gusto I can as I have an AMD-64 chip. Which, from
> what I'm seeming, is not checked off in the Fedora stock build.

It has to be optimized for one or the other but not both, i believe.
Go thru those "processor type and features" options carefully, there
are probably a FEW things in there to consider.

> used to be a HOW-TO at fedora.redhat.com, but damned if I can find it.

Yes, the LDP (linux documentation project) people have apparently
discontinued this -- i hope not to discourage anyone from trying!  That
is how i learned to build kernels years ago, and what was once
intimidating is now easy.  Unfortunately, I do not have a copy of the
HOW-TO, but for sure someone out there does so write a post asking for
it.  The most important thing, which has not changed with the versions,
is understanding how to boot test your new kernel and how to switch
back to the old one if it fails.  Grub or lilo documentation may help
with this (I think the HOW-TO actually refers to lilo whereas fedora
uses grub, hmph).

nb. xconfig often or usually fails but menuconfig should work and is
much, much better than answering y/n questions one at a time.

good luck ric!  from the sound of it you are going to need to find some
instructions!

ps. you are not BURNING a new kernel, you are COMPILING one.  but call
it "rolling" and you might be ok