I/O Scheduling results in poor responsiveness

Nathan Grennan fedora-list at cygnusx-1.org
Wed Mar 5 20:16:58 UTC 2008

Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:

> What motherboard/chipset do you have? which sata chipset?

ASUS P5B Premium

ICH8R in ACHI mode

> Are you using ncq?

Yes, I tried turning it off.
> Did you try limiting the memory to 2G or even 1G ?

No, I haven't tried that one, though had thought about it.
> Are you running 32bit or 64bit OS?

x86_64 across the board. I have thought of trying it on i686 systems,
though the only ones I have running Fedora 8 are laptops.

> Did you also try noop?

No, I thought about trying that.

> Maybe also try iostat.. maybe it shows you something more/important in this
> case.

I have looked it it, but not in detail.
> There are also some caching/flushing related vm parameters which might
> affect these things..

That is what I meant by sys.vm settings, but after some reading this
morning I might have been configuring them in the wrong direction. In
this case less may be more.