Flash for amd64

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 22:52:30 UTC 2008

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> | From: Tom Horsley <tom.horsley at att.net>
>
> |  I find the nspliginwrapper helper app sitting in 100% cpu loops
> | most of the time with my firefox frozen. Using 32 bit firefox and
> | no nspluginwrapper works much better for me (and I actually find it
> | convenient to be able to run 64 bit firefox and know that annoying flash
> | content won't appear :-).
>
> I used to do that too.  But the greatest inconvenience was that if you
> had ff64 running, any attempt to run ff32 would just hand off the
> request to ff64.  Too smart.
>
> Another manifestation: if I try to run ff remotely, the remote ff just
> hands off the request to my local ff.  And, if that request involved
> file://, it will whine about there being no such file.  Too smart.
>
> The problem is in the script /usr/bin/firefox.  I'm too lazy to hack
> it.  I don't actually know the consequences of two instances both
> writing stuff into ~/.mozilla

Even if you don't have the same directories on the remote machine,
it is too smart for its own good, and tries to use the other running copy.

It never annoyed me enough to report it on mozilla's web site, that is
probably where it would need to be changed since it does not appear
to be a Fedora only issue.

You might just want to run the 32bit version, I don't know that I have ever
found any reason to run 64 bit version at all, it should not be faster, it
should only be able to access more memory, and if you brower wants to use that
much ram you probably have bigger issues.

                               Roger