wicd - better wireless network manager than NetworkManager?

Izhar Firdaus kagesenshi.87 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 07:20:31 UTC 2008

2008/3/6 Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 at gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 9:36 PM, Izhar Firdaus <kagesenshi.87 at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 1:33 AM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  >  Yes, I made a package, but  have mixed success with the wireless
>  >  >  detection in wicd 1.4.2t.  Maybe you should test it out, see if it
>  >  >  works for you.
>  >  >
>  >  >  http://pj.freefaculty.org/Fedora/8/i386/kups/packages/wicd-1.4.2-1f8.pj.noarch.rpm
>  >  >
>  >  >  http://pj.freefaculty.org/Fedora/8/i386/kups/packages/wicd-1.4.2-1f8.pj.src.rpm
>  >  >
>  >
>  >  cool
>  >
>  >  How about you start sending this package for review and start
>  >  contributing it to the fedora repositories
>  >

>  I think you must not have read the message I posted very carefully.  I
>  don't think wicd works very well and I only built the RPM so I could
>  test it out.  If you want to sign yourself up as a developer and take
>  that stuff and be in charge of it, that's fine.  But, for me, its just
>  not a good piece of code.  There's no way I could force it into an
>  acceptable Fedora framework without a lot of hassle.

Have you actually tried submitting it ?.

not a good piece of code does not mean it could not be accepted in
Fedora repositories. its the spec and how you install the files that
need review, not the software itself.

looking at your srpm spec, it looks like a rather simple installation
to me. You might only need to adjust your %install macro and perhaps
some modification at the init script, done. I doubt it'll be hard for
this to pass review.

IMO, the best person to submit it is the person who use it. Because
they know more about the software.

being a packager doesnt mean you need to be a developer, the only
thing you manage is the install process, bugs reports with the program
itself etc, just forward them to upstream.

yup, I agree that the initial process of getting sponsored is kindof
tedious (I hope our new fedoraproject leader will make it easier) ,
but once you get sponsored, stuff gets easier when you want to add new
packages...

but then again, if you choose not to submit it , well, i'm nobody to
force you to. i just thought it'll be good for you to start
contributing as package maintainer (if you are not one yet)
considering you know how to write that spec. cheers ^-^

regards
--
Mohd Izhar Firdaus Bin Ismail
Amano Hikaru