Burning a kernel

Da Rock rock_on_the_web at comcen.com.au
Thu Mar 6 23:41:15 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-06 at 01:14 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-03-05 at 13:45 -0800, Kam Leo wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 9:01 AM, MK <halfcountplus at intergate.com> wrote:
> > > Kam Leo hypothesized:
> >
> > No hypothesis. Just applying basic knowledge regarding the kernel to
> > the problem that was described.
> >
> > >  > You might be able to get improved performance by changing from the
> > >  > kernel's default I/O scheduler (CFQ).
> > >
> > >  I switched the default to the "anticipatory" scheduler (leaving CFQ and
> > >  deadline built-in) because of xine lock-ups and that DEFINATELY did the
> > >  trick (2.6.22.6).
> >
> > Why was building a custom version of the kernel necessary? Didn't
> > appending "elevator=as" work for you?
>
> I'm gonna give that a whirl after I plug through this pile of email!
> Thank you for the hint, and I will let you know the result. Ric
>
> --
> Linux user# 44256 Sign up at: http://counter.li.org/
> http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
> http://www.wayward4now.net  <---down4now too

Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread, but I'm having trouble finding a
solution to a source problem myself. I've got kernel-devel rpms
installed for an i586, and a i686 kernel. Now when I try to build a
module for my tv card it says it can't find .config file.

So what I have is a 137.i686 kernel, and a 42.i686 source, plus a
137.i586. When it builds the module it looks for i686 source and fails.

My question is: is there an i686 kernel-devel rpm for f8? I managed to
build this module before, but I'm assuming there was no discrepancy
between kernel and kernel-devel before.

Cheers guys