Konqueror vs Firefox

David Boles dgboles at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 10:51:26 UTC 2008

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> 2008/3/7 Brian <Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu>:
>> Sunspider: http://webkit.org/perf/sunspider-0.9/sunspider.html
>>
>> This doesn't benchmark everything, but javascript is important to me as I
>> use apps such as Gmail constantly. Since these apps tend not to work in
>> Konqueror anyway, they may not be relevant to you. But anything Konq does in
>> javascript is way slower than other browsers.
>
> According to that test, Firefox is significantly faster than
> Konqueror, but as you noted that this for Javascript only. And I have
> to say, I seriously doubt the usefulness of this test. I know for a
> fact that Firefox on my Fedora machines is significantly _slower_ than
> Konqueror at rendering pages -- which to me is more important than
> rendering Javascript.

Arthur - see if this makes any difference with Firefox for you. I does for me.

Try a site first to compare to later. Then, as 'root' edit  /etc/profile
add this

export MOZ_DISABLE_PANGO=1

It can be anywhere but I put it just under the original export line. save
and close.

Close, reopen FF and try the same site.

> I don't mean to stress this too much, but Firefox on F7 lead me to
> stop using my desktop machine for casual browsing of the internet.
> When ever I need to visit webpages on my desktop, or develop web apps
> from my desktop, I almost exclusively use Konqueror.
>
> I strongly suggest that you try this rendering test instead:
> http://www.quirksmode.org/dom/innerhtml.html
>
> This shows Konqueror about twice as fast at rendering than Konqueror.
> And if I were to do a stop watch rendering test I know that Firefox
> would fail miserably in comparison to Konqueror.
>
> Also, I am not alone:
> http://www.google.com/search?q=firefox+linux+slow

 From your link (above) most of those hits are for some version of Firefox
1.x. Which Firefox are you using? FF 2.0.0.x is faster than 1.x was. FF
3.0 is faster than FF 2.x
--

   David