Konqueror vs Firefox

Nathan Grennan fedora-list at cygnusx-1.org
Fri Mar 7 22:31:23 UTC 2008

David Boles wrote:

> Okay. Still trying to understand this.
>
> Is the 'fsync' problem, the differences for you, with the same page? I
> ask because so many pages are so very active today. If it is a page,
> or several? If you would like I would try them from here.

It doesn't matter so much about the page. Any page will do. From my
limited testing it did it on every page. It was like click bookmark,
page loads, gets to end of loading, eight fsyncs within a second of each
other. Click another bookmark, page loads, gets to end of loading, eight
fsyncs.
> The page, http://www.news.com.au/, that was in the beginning of this
> thread, is in IMO a pig of ads and Flash. And without the 'protection'
> of the two extensions that I mentioned it did bog down my Firefox for
> a second or two. Somewhat but not much. But nowhere near as the OP,
> and others, talked about in their posts.
>
> I honestly do *not* see the halts that you, and others, nor the other
> things many are writing about here. And this was using Firefox 3.0bpre5.
>
> I am puzzled. Unless it could be differences in Internet access or
> differences in hardware perhaps? Or a combination of differences in both?

You only see this end you do intensive i/o stuff. The easiest example,
dd if=/dev/zero of=testfile bs=2M count=1024. Then start clicking
through pages in Firefox. It will almost surely become unresponsive, and
I don't mean just you can't click on anything. I mean you switch to
another window and back, and it won't even redraw itself. You will now
just have a big grey window where firefox used to be, till it comes
back. Which sometimes it comes back within a few seconds, but sometimes
it won't come back till the write of other program, like dd, is
completely done. You can also see this with VMware Workstation while
creating guest images, or doing heavy guest i/o, like say installing a
bunch of updates in a Windows guest. You can see this with virt-manager
and creating a new guest image. You can see this with kernel compiles.