Checking RAM type and information in software

Ian Chapman packages at amiga-hardware.com
Sat Mar 8 01:37:13 UTC 2008

Konstantin Svist wrote:

>> Yes, there's a few ways of checking, try dmidecode. Also lm_sensors
>> has some support for telling you about your memory through the eeprom
>> modules if I remember right.
>>

> Thanks!
> dmidecode displays a bunch of useful info, although the manufacturer is
> listed as ID only (is there a convenient database of these things? or do
> I have to JFGI every time?)

I think it many cases the manufacturer field is pretty arbitrary as a
lot of the fields are, so I wouldn't rely on that information entirely.

> I don't see any latency information, though. Is that available through
> anything?

Yes there's decode-dimms.pl which is part of the aforementioned
lm_sensors package. Probably has a lot of what you're looking for. For
example for me it shows (amongst lots of other information):

---=== Memory Characteristics ===---
Maximum module speed                            400MHz (PC3200)
Size                                            512 MB
tCL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS                               3-3-3-8
Supported CAS Latencies                         3, 2.5
Supported CS Latencies                          0
Supported WE Latencies                          1
Minimum Cycle Time (CAS 3)                      5 ns
Maximum Access Time (CAS 3)                     0.65 ns
Minimum Cycle Time (CAS 2.5)                    6 ns
Maximum Access Time (CAS 2.5)                   0.7 ns

---=== Manufacturing Information ===---
Manufacturer                                    Samsung
Manufacturing Location Code                     0x01
Part Number                                     M3 68L6423FTN-CCC
Revision Code                                   0x4E46
Manufacturing Date                              2004-W30
Assembly Serial Number                          0x41004B71

--
Ian Chapman.